The folks at Twitter haven't quite figured out how to make money at this, but it is one very useful tool for a blogger like me and IMO anybody who does business online. Since I've begun actively participating on Twitter, I've made quite a few new friends and business contacts. My circle of influence is growing.
Here's how Twitter works:
- Create an account at www.twitter.com
- Make your first post - most people just type "setting up my twitter account"
- Follow me: go to www.twitter.com/rksmythe and click on the follow button below my "ugly mug"
- Follow MyBlogUtopia account where I list my posts and have added my Reader feed. My Reader is basically the stuff I find of interest on the Internet each day, mostly regarding ecommerce.
- What do you talk about? Well, just share what you are doing in regards to work, family, play, your online business, hobbies, etc. Heck, I found a style coach on Twitter, well actually I just made her my style coach and she went along with it.
- Here are some of the folks I follow, so you can get an idea what kind of stuff to write about: colderICE, andotherstuff, zappos (my twitter mentor), redINKdiary, ebayandbeyond, Biddy, Scott_Pooler, vpgames and the list goes on.
- If you want to reply to somebody's comment than just click on the arrow under the star on the right hand side of the comment, or you can just add the @ symbol in front of their user name.
- Try it, you may like it. I believe it is an essential tool for bloggers to connect with their readers but it can also be valuable to online sellers.
One story that illustrates the power of Twitter: I was planning to go to San Jose to visit the folks at eBay regarding changes to the site, so I decided to drive instead of fly, mainly because I wanted to test the power of Twitter. While I was sitting in traffic in LA, I tweeted (from my cell phone) that I was going to be in Santa Barbara around 7 pm and I was looking for a recommendation for dinner, I wanted Mexican food. Well, not more than 20 minutes later I got a direct message from vpgames suggesting we meet for dinner at El Paseo and he gave me directions and everything. I arrived in Santa Barbara at 7pm met with vpgames and had a great conversation over dinner.When I arrived at eBay, several people commented on the fact I had driven and mentioned they had followed my trip on Twitter.
Twitter is a good tool for me to get up-to-date information and news and keep in touch with readers, friends, business contacts, etc. I currently have 245 followers on my main Twitter account and I'd love more.
Just my 15%