How about this:
- eBay.com becomes the worlds best product search engine and each International marketplace does the same.
- eBay creates eBay Classic for that product that built eBay.
- eBay spins off eBay stores as an independent platform for businesses to build their brand and an independent business.
- eBay buys Buy.com and turns it into the fixed-price marketplace or the "New eBay".
- Sellers from each of these separate sites advertise their product on the eBay.com website.
Consumers get access to all of the inventory they could ever want; eBay becomes Google for product search; investors once again love the stock and Sellers are happy because they have independence and control of their business as well as a vibrant marketing tool again. The world is once again a better place!
eBay should learn some lessons form the following historical events:
- Coke creating the New Coke while discontinuing the original formula.
- VHS and Beta; Sony wanted total control and wouldn't license the better technology. VHS was licenced to everybody and became the standard.
eBay needs to embrace what made eBay great, create a new platform or buy one to create the "New eBay" and then empower sellers and get out of the way.
Just my 12%