Auctions are being strangled by FP (Fixed Price) and commodity items and it is time that eBay spin-off Auctions onto their own site. It is time for eBay Classic! Then maybe a “Shop Victoriously” ad campaign would make sense.
I know that management doesn’t want to run two separate sites but it makes sense in so many ways. Just treat Auctions like another vertical. You have successfully run eBay Motors as a separate platform and you can accomplish the same thing with an Auction only site.
The "New" eBay can have FP, Best Match and all the marketplace controls you want; it can be the new Shopping Portal you envision; it can use the best aspects of eBay Express and add the sales velocity you get from CORE. It will be the growth engine for eBay Marketplaces -- just set auctions free.
Stephanie T. says we won’t recognize eBay this time next year. I have no problem with that as long as you spin of the “old” recognizable eBay. There are very practical reasons for spinning off auctions:
- It will stop most of the complaining -- at least for awhile :)
- Small sellers will once again have a chance.
- You can retain the “soul” of eBay while maximizing the business of eBay on the “New” and improved site.
- Auctions will have an opportunity to breath and soon you will see multiple bids and higher ASPs again.
- It will bring back the value of the listing fee and makes sense from a business standpoint.
- The “New” eBay can go to a higher FVF, low-to-no insertion fee model.
- The big guys would see the value of being part of the “New” eBay.
- And I could go on and on.
With the new management team in place, it is time to make this happen.
Just my 12%