Some important things to consider regarding this Promo:
- The 1 week test of this promo was successful so they made it a month long and expanded it to all price tranches to gather additional data.
- This is a sign that this pricing may go into effect permanently. Many people have said "why not just make gallery free" This approach allows for seller differentiation. The sellers that add Gallery will show up in Best Match and have greater visibility while sellers who do not use gallery will take their chances.
- By discounting listing fees rather than Gallery fees eBay asserts more control of search. Sellers who do not want to play in this new playground will miss out.
- Be prepared for a Gallery filled Holiday Shopping season.
- Now here is my cynical side: The timing and length of the Promo will help eBay's listing numbers and keep Wall Street off their back for another quarter.
Notes for Sellers regarding the Promo: (Excerpt from The Seller Evangelist)
If you've never used Gallery before this would definitely be the time to test it. Remember eBay will launch Best Match in September and I'm sure use of Gallery is part of the criteria so if you were considering not taking part in this promo, you might reconsider to give your listings the best shot at being seen.
Just be aware that your total cost will increase in two price ranges:
- $10 - $24.99 - You will pay .20 cents more to add gallery
- $25 - $49.99 - You will pay .05 cents more to add gallery
- $.01 - $.99 - You save $.20 cents per listing
- $1 - $9.99 - You save $.40 cents per listing
- $10 - $24.99 - You save $.15 cents per listing
- $25 - $49.99 - You save $.30 cents per listing
- $50 - $199.99 - You save $.60 cents per listing
- $200 - $499.99 - You save $.90 cents per listing
- $500 - Up - You save $1.20 per listing